Do you live in the European Union or in a partner country of the European Solidarity Corps Program and want to take part in a long-term solidarity project in France? Do you want to be part of a meaningful project ? To be part of a community linked by the will to build a better world? We would love to pursue this adventure with you! Here you’ll find all the necessary information regarding Solidarités Jeunesses’ ESC projects and the application process! Please read through the following document carefully to have all the information you need.
The European Solidarity Corps (ESC) is a full-time voluntary service and is a separate program developed by the European Union. The idea is to encourage young people to participate in a solidarity project through volunteering and to contribute to local communities, develop skills for life, tolerance, mutual understanding, and active citizenship.
Who can participate ?
- between 18 and 30 years old
- available to participate in the whole duration of the project
- with strong motivation and interest in the projects
- from programme or partner countries
- who have not already done a long term EVS or ESC (more than 59 days)
How much will it cost ?
The ESC program is free of charge! The program is funded by a grant from the European Commission. The grant covers accommodations, food, health insurance, necessary visas, and the round trip tickets (according to the maximum sum allowed by the program). You will also receive pocket money of 6€ a day.
Are any specific qualifications necessary to participate?
At Solidarités Jeunesses, we believe that the differences between people present an opportunity to learn from each other, to discover, and to grow. Therefore, everybody is welcome, no matter their origin, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs. Come as you are! We only ask that you are motivated about the project, though a drivers license is highly recommended.
Solidarités Jeunesses (SJ) is a national movement of non-formal education that, at its core, values voluntary commitment, strong political will, and social solidarity. Solidarités Jeunesses is composed of a National Secretary based in Paris, and eight regional delegations across France. Our delegations host volunteers from France and all over the world for both short and long-term projects throughout the year. Each regional delegation is unique, but all of the activities organized benefit the local community and share common ground:
- The main goal is to give to volunteers the opportunity to experience social diversity, intercultural connectivity, collective living, manual work/skills, and rural life in France.
- Each project is dedicated to actions of solidarity and collective living. Each volunteer will be involved in the management of the house (cooking, cleaning, gardening), and in the organisation of events with the local communities, and those organized by the delegation itself. Every delegation houses French and international volunteers, but also young people with less access to opportunities, and locals that come and visit often! Every day is an exercise in living and learning in a diverse community!
- In the summer, our regional delegations organize international workcamps that gather 10 to 15 volunteers from all over the world to participate in a project of general interest. You will have the opportunity to be a camp leader, and thus improve your leadership skills.
- You will be involved in local life by participating in cultural, social or environmental projects in the villages nearby.
- All our projects take place in rural areas where volunteers live together in shared rooms with a limited access to wifi connection.
Why should I volunteer?
Living together with French and international volunteers and other young people, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a diverse range of activities, construction projects, gardening and renovation opportunities, while also organizing events, managing daily life, and most importantly, learning about yourself and from others!
Long term volunteering is a learning experience, a chance to experiment new rhythm of life, to create new relationships, to experiment with new activities, and to grow in an unexpected and beautiful way. If you are ready to challenge your perceptions and go on an adventure, we at Solidarites Jeunesses are ready to welcome you!
- Make contact with your home organisation in your country of residence, they will be the ones preparing for your volunteering project and sending you on your way! If you don’t find a sending organisation available to in your home country, don’t worry! Contact us and we can connect you to one of our partner organisations!
- Carefully read through the available project descriptions: dates, spots available, and specific conditions. You can select up to three projects to apply to.
- Fill out the application form and write a motivation letter. Please note that we do not ask for any particular qualifications for our projects, but this letter is necessary for us to assess your motivations to participate in a particular project. It is an opportunity for you to express why you want to volunteer in a rural area with people from different countries and with diverse backgrounds. Your motivation letter must be written in relation to the specific project you are applying to. If it is not, we will ask you to send us a new letter.
- Send your application form and motivation letter to email@example.com
Please note that this section will change over the time according to availability. In some projects, it may be written "boys only" or "girls only". This is not a discriminatory measure, we just want to maintain diversity and parity in our projects.
Places for volunteers from the EU countries : 4 places
Places for volunteers from the EU countries : 1 place
Please note this place is also available for a shorter period (5 months minimum)
Places for volunteers from the EU countries : 5 places
01/05/21 - 30/04/22
Place for volunteers from the EU countries: 1 places (Driving License Mandatory)
01/09/21 - 31/08/2022
Place for volunteers from the EU countries: 3 places (Driving License reccomended)